Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kosher Choices

For the past two weeks, I have been making "kosher choices." This means that I am making sure that everything I eat is kosher, but not worrying yet about what kind of kitchen (or factory) it is made in. I thought this was a good way to slowly transition and train myself to eat kosher.

I am choosing to go kosher, not only because it outlined in the Jewish covenant with G-d, but because it is a regular reminder of being set apart and having a unique connection with G-d. This seems to be the essence of kashruth.

So far, the decisions haven't been too difficult. Sure, I am missing a few items here and there, but this process reminds me of when I was a vegetarian for two years. While it is more restrictive than that, it's along the same lines.

This morning brought a great challenge, however. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to take my Mom to the hospital for a minor surgery; this is much earlier than I get up regularly. After checking her in and sending her off, it was 7:30 a.m. I am tired, mildly cranky, and hungry. My plan was to go to Starbucks, because I can get a kosher coffee drink and several of their pre-wrapped items are kosher.

As I exited the hospital, I forgot about the monster wind and rain storm outside. The closest Starbucks was 5 blocks away (a long distance for coffee in Seattle) and I had no umbrella. In light of this complication, I returned to the cafeteria to make the best of an annoying situation. As perused my options, I realized that I had a choice of dry eggs, hash browns, and a stale biscuit.

Yummy.

I always knew that the Americans love their pork in the morning, and that love was in grand display in the cafeteria, mocking me at every turn.

However, in all honesty, as I sat eating my dry eggs, potatoes, and biscuit, I was comforted by the idea that many other people have a similar experience everyday.

If only there was veggie bacon or tofu sausage available....

1 comment:

DrinkingTea said...

Sometimes, dealing with even limited kashrut can be a pain in the butt! My sillest moment was when I wondered to myself, out loud, if the marshmallow peeps on the endcap were kosher. For the record, they are not, but egg nog is. I think I'd rather have the peeps.