Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dine for Darfur



I was at Top Pot Doughnuts, where one can find the best doughnuts EVER. As I was pouring cream in my coffee, I saw a Dine for Darfurevent advertisement. I was excited, as the situation in Darfur is horrific and in dire need of international intervention.

My excitement sank when I saw the date was April 3rd. Right in the middle of Passover.

Normally, I do not worry about such scheduling conflict. Seattle has a small Jewish community and we can only expect a certain level of consideration. Most the time the majority, rightfully, wins out.

But, the American Jewish community has been at the forefront of creating higher visibility of the problems in Darfur. We were the ones that have been making the noise about the genocide in America, perking up the ears of our elected officials and fellow citizens. I admit it felt like a slap in the face to not consider scheduling it around Passover. More likely, a calendar was not even consulted when scheduling the event.

Not only am I disappointed by the date, but also because a good number in the Jewish community will not be able to dine out and support this event. They will raise less money and offer less support.

I wrote a letter, expressing this disappointment and hope they will consider the Jewish calendar the next time an event like this is scheduled.

No comments: