Saturday, April 5, 2008

More Israel Blogging - The Security Fence



After a computer meltdown shortly after we returned home, we have a new computer and I am ready to get back to blogging.

One of the most intense experiences of the trip was being in Jerusalem. I felt the fervor, history, culture clashes, and conflict in the air and in my bones. It was an amazing experience; one in which I felt both incredibly uncomfortably and incredibly alive.

We spent a good deal of the trip discussing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We also had a good view of the security fence from our hotel room, shown in the picture here.

I fully support the fence being erected, but couldn't help feeling a sense of grief, seeing Jerusalem being divided. Words can't describe the emotions I felt about why the wall had to exist and what it represented for both the Israelis and Palestinians. Our tour guide, a native from Jerusalem, compassionately said the fence is a symbol of the traumas experienced by both the Israelis and Palestinians.

This is just one of many examples demonstrating the complexity of the conflict, and the lack of simple, black-and-white answers available to solve it. This lack of resolution can be felt throughout Jerusalem and this is what the fence represents to me.

4 comments:

Honi said...

I too just returned from Israel.. as I perused your blog I could so relate to your experiences.. I went with my husband and his family for 2 weeks.. we did Israel from middle, bottom and top.. and middle again.. we also did a tour of Petra.. low and behold I got .. well.. I got that travelers illness right in the heart of Petra.. wont forget that experience for a long time LOL seriously though.. I adored my trip and have started building a blog regarding the trip too.. honiandsteve.blogspot.com if you ever want to see it.. glad you had a safe trip..

aoc gold said...

What Does Little Birdie Say?

(1)

What does little birdie say,
In her nest at peep of day?
Let me fly, says little birdie,
Mother, let me fly away,
Birdie, rest a little longer,

Till the little wings are stronger.

So she rests a little longer,

Then she flies away.

(2)

What does little baby say,
In her bed at peep of day?

Baby says, like little birdie,

Let me rise and fly away.

Baby, sleep a little longer,

Till the little limbs are stronger.

If she sleeps a little longer,

Baby too shall fly away.

-----by runescape gold

tucson security said...

Limitations can be seen a lot. For security purposes.

Vernon Philander said...

Clued-up post! Your accepted wisdom is great. Thanks for keep me notify. For more information I will be in touch.
Johannesburg security fencing